When I checked the internet what's going on in Christchurch during my stay I also found the information about the DramFest 2014 to be held in the Airforce Museum of New Zealand, not far away from my motel. Perfect!
Different concept than in Europe: you pay a higher ticket price but for that (nearly) all drams are included, beside the so called "Dream Drams". But you also got one token (and you could buy more) for those special drams which were for example the Glenfarclas 1973 that I had. Also the tastings do (at least most of them) not take place during the main event, just on the day before, the day after and in the evening...
Glenfarclas Family Casks 1973
The exhibitors were mainly the distilleries but also a few independent bottlers like Douglas Laing, Gordon MacPhail, Hunter Laing, Signatory, Adelphi etc.
Looks as crowdy as Limburg
Beside this special Glenfarclas 1973 on which I had an eye due to the year I was looking more for the Islay stuff (with a few exceptions). One of those was the Benriach 1999, bottled for the DramFest 2014, selected by Whisky Galore here in Christchurch.
Here's a part of the selection of what else I tried there:
- Bruichladdich: Cadenhead 1993, 20yo. ; 16yo. ; Octomore Scottish Barley
- Bunnahabhain: Old Malt Cask 2001, 11yo. ; MacPhail's Collection 8yo. ; Signatory Heavily Peated 1997, 15yo.
- Caol Ila: Old Malt Cask 1984, 29yo. ; Gordon & MacPhail 1998 - 2010 ; Douglas Laing Old Particular 1991, 21yo. ; Adelphi 2003, 9yo. ; Signatory 1982, 30yo. ; Cadenhead 29yo.
- Glen Scotia: Old Malt Cask 1991, 29yo.
- Laphroaig: Douglas of Drumlanrig 2000, 12yo.
- Mortlach: Adelphi 1987, 25yo.
Approx. 20 minutes after the doors had been opened for the public a pipes'n'drum band came in and filled the room with their impressive sound... I always loved and still love the sound of the bagpipe and songs like Highland Cathedral are always an amazing moment...
It was a great event which as been organized by Stella and Michael Fraser from Whisky Galore and was really lucky that I had the chance to attend... and if you're in town you should spend a visit to their really nice shop, it's worth the visit.
Stella and Michael Fraser who organized this great event
After returning to the hotel I grabbed another cigar which I enjoyed in the sunshine in Hagley Park... a relaxed end of a fantastic afternoon...